Athletic facility improvements in the past decade
Published: January 14, 2011
In the past 10 years, Clemson University has invested nearly $120 million to upgrade and improve athletic facilities. These improvements have had an impact on a number of sports, including football, basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis, track and women’s rowing. Here's a list of those improvements:
- Improved the practice fields, including the installation an artificial turf field.
- Renovated the east end and north and south stands of Memorial Stadium.
- Added a new scoreboard/video board/ProAds in the east end zone of Memorial Stadium.
- Upgraded the lights in Memorial Stadium.
- Constructed the first two phases of WestZone, including new locker rooms, a weight room, a training room, offices, meeting spaces, club-level seating and suites, an entrance and a concourse area.
- Completed the renovation of Littlejohn Coliseum to upgrade seating, improve sight lines, enhance restrooms and concession areas, replace the roof and upgrade the exterior appearance of the building.
- Added an annex and new locker rooms, weight room and training room.
- Added a video board to Littlejohn Coliseum.
- Obtained two new wood practice floors (used on a temporary basis at the indoor track facility).
- Renovated the baseball stadium to enhance the exterior and add a roof and new press box. After this renovation, the stadium was renamed Doug Kingsmore Stadium.
- Added the Chapman Grandstands and right field bleachers in Doug Kingsmore Stadium.
- Installed new lighting at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.
- Added an artificial practice field.
- Built new locker rooms and the press box at Riggs Field.
- Installed new court surfaces.
- Upgraded the lighting.
- Addied the Duckworth Pavilion, a two-story expansion of the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center that includes an open top deck, a covered lower deck, an outdoor kitchen and meeting space.
- Resurfaced the track and enhanced the landscaping at Rock Norman Track and Field Complex.
- Constructed an indoor track and field complex, which includes a 200-meter, eight-lane track, a six-lane oval track, one high-jump apron, two pole-vault runways and two long- and triple-jump runways.
- Constructed an 11,500-square-foot boathouse on Hartwell Lake, with an expanded locker room, additional workout space, a team meeting room, an athletes' lounge, a kitchen and coaches’ offices.
- Added chair-back, stadium-style seats for spectators.